Wednesday, January 25, 2012

CHRISTMAS SKYPE CALL!!!







Letter from: December 19, 2011
I have some good and bad news. First of all, transfers are coming up and Elder Stufflebeam will be leaving for Central Mendoza. Sad to see him go because I learned a lot from him. Good News though, I’m getting a Latin companion! AND (Donny is going to love this part) he is from Chile! (but I don’t know what part of Chile he is from) My new companion’s name is Elder Caro and I am pretty excited. I believe that with Elder Caro’s help I will be able to speak Spanish fairly well. AND for sure, I will be able to understand Donny. I have a little secret. I have been fasting this whole week from English. The only English contact I have now are these e-mails, my journal, and personal study I’m just thankful I have a companion who is willing to speak only in Spanish or else next week could possibly be more than I could handle. Because of Elder Stufflebeam’s help, I believe I will feel a little more prepared for a Spanish speaking companion.. I can already say my ability to speak Spanish has at least doubled. I was able to answer the phone yesterday and answer the sister’s questions. Granted, the conversation was approximately 30 seconds long but still, that’s WAY better than it was last week. I made a goal to fast from English for 40 days because I believe it is about time that I speak to people well and I believe this is the best way I can do it. I think God is helping me with this goal because it is going to be just me and Elder Caro for at least 6 weeks and we will be 3 hours away from the nearest missionaries who speak English. It may be a little more than I asked for but that’s fine with me, God knows better than I do. We had a great activity this week. It was all about PREACH MY GOSPEL and how the members can help us in missionary work. Since I have been on the mission, I have realized how much we need the help of the members. There are a lot of people here who believe we (the missionaries) are American spies! So, there is hardly any chance we are going to be able to teach unless the members get involved. True, we will find people on our own, who are ready to receive the lessons, but the work would just be so much faster if the members would actively seek to declare the restored gospel to their friends. It would start a chain reaction and we would need double the amount of missionaries that Elder Holland talked about in this last conference. Good news though is that the members really are getting excited and I’m excited that they are getting excited. Can you feel the excitement?

Well, I love you all! Until next week! Elder Myers

Letter from: December 26, 2011
It was great to see you too! I was really afraid we were going to have problems with SKYPE and guess what? We did! Anyway, I’m just glad we found a way to make it work. Maybe we should really plan out the next SKYPE conversation a little better, if we can. Do I think I will stay in Malargue much longer? Hmmmmmmm. I don’t think so but it is possible. I have at least 6 more weeks left until the next transfer. I feel my purpose of being here right now is to work as hard as I can and learn the language. I almost feel like I won’t leave Malargue until I can understand people --therefore, the English Fast. Good news, we visited San Rafael and I could almost understand every word there…People here have a way different accent and speak REALLY fast. So, when I do leave Malargue, I should be able to understand just about anybody…
Love, Your son Elder Travis Myers
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment