Friday, October 21, 2011

COLECTIVOS, SEQUIAS and barking that never ceases...

(Colectivos)
(Sequias)

Hey Family!
I´m glad to hear from everybody! I liked the pictures and letters muchisimo (very much). The language is coming along a little better. I am trying to talk more in the lessons. At least the people we teach seem to understand what I´m trying to say.
We had a lot more lessons this week, mainly with less active members and quiet a few of them came back to church this week. Oh, I gave a talk in church this week about prophets and why it’s important to follow their words. I guess it was alright. I´ll keep it to see how bad it actually was after my mission. hahaha. It was really windy this week. I had to walk sideways at what seemed to be a 45 degree angle just to stand up. There are about 3 dogs of every kind to every person. The barking never ceases. I think a dog tried to bite me a few days ago but it missed (kinda funny). The dog was pretty little so I´m not sure it would have hurt that much anyway. One thing that's pretty interesting here are the buses, called colectivos. They are two-story buses that are more like miniature planes. We took one this morning for our Preparation Day to the city San Rafael. Because we are so far away from everybody, we are allowed to take trips outside of our area twice a month. San Rafael is pretty awesome. A Cyber (pronounced see-bear in a Spanish accent) is where we go every week to e-mail. They have a lot better computers there. I was going to send pictures today but... we woke up 10 minutes before our colectivo was to leave and in all the rush, I forgot them.

Because we live so close to the mountains, they have some ditch like things called sequias, which are usually about 3 feet deep and a foot or two wide. These sequias channel the water all over the city. Here we are challenged to talk to 10 people a day. One day while we were at the sequia, I noticed one family walk from the road to the sidewalk. It seemed they were trying to avoid us. I needed to talk to one more person to fill my quota for the day and it was nearing the time to go back to the apartment (pension or in missionary terms Pench). So, I decided to pick up my pace a bit, jump across the sequia (say-key-a) and say hello to the family on the sidewalk. I´m not sure they were so happy to see me but I was just overjoyed! Yep, things are always getting better here and I think I´m almost getting used to things.With my Spanish improving, I even think the members are starting to like me a little better.
Love ya!
Elder Travis Myers

PS- Note to Kami. Look up the recipe for Dulce de Leche. Put it on anything!!! Awesome!!

Mom and Dad,
I´m glad to hear it´s raining again! Mama, I loved the story you told about going to church in the Rain. I love you both and have been thinking about "yall" pretty often. Don't worry--. not to the point of home sickness. I try to work harder when I think about home, so don´t worry about me.
Your son Elder Travis Myers
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment