Saturday, October 29, 2011

Presidential Election in Argentina



Wow--Crazy week. Yesterday was the presidential election in Argentina and the people were just going crazy last night. Here, everybody has to vote and elections are a HUGE deal. Apparently they found out who won last night and so everybody got in their cars and honked their horns all night long. Great tradition! Also there was basically a drum line on the main street of Malargue (Ma-Larg-Way) and because we live right off that same street, thankfully we heard all of the celebration. I was so tired last night that even with all the noise, I was able to fall asleep within 5 minutes. I believe it is a gift to be able to sleep through noise. We had the best preparation day possible. A family that is about to get baptized, and who really like the missionaries, decided to take us to the most beautiful place in all of Malargue. I'll send pictures later but look up "Las Leñas" if you have the chance. It was awesome! While there, I made a small snowman in the mountains. More good news! We found a family that looked moderately interested in hearing the gospel. We started knocking on the doors (If they have a fence you just clap really loud as many times as you want. I can now clap fairly loud) and we taught this lady a short lesson at her door. She said we could come back! So excited! More good news! I'm starting to understand and talk more with people. One time I was listening to this guy and from what I could understood, he was telling us that he drank so much soda that his feet started to swell like pumpkins and he had to drink water to get all the sugar out. After that conversation with this guy, I was thinking I needed to practice my Spanish more because my translation of what he was saying was ridiculous. As it turned out, my translation was correct! That is exactly what he was saying!. The Doctor actually told him he needed to drink water to get the sugar out of his feet. All is well here and its great to hear from you! Talk to you later!

Elder Myers

PS- Here's another note for Kami. I heard all the big cooks here (Like the Martha Stewart’s of Argentina) just put a ton of alcohol in everything. You have to be careful with the ice cream (helado) here because a lot of it has alcohol. I do have another favorite food here---Pastel de papa. It's one of the best foods in Argentina. ¡Es muy rica!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment