Monday, October 3, 2011

He's serving in his first area! Malargüe, Argentina!


(Look how close he is to CHILE!)


(Dirt road in Malargüe - on Wikipedia it says that the city is known for its traditional dish, the chivito (baby goat), so I thought this picture was appropriate!)

Padres! (parents)

It’s great to hear from you. And, it is really difficult to type on a Spanish keyboard, but all is well. Please don’t give me any more wonderful food descriptions. (like the dinners you had with family last weekend) I can’t take it.!

The airports in Argentina were fun. Before leaving the MTC, I finally got to the point where I could understand the language pretty well and then when I arrived in Argentina, I found out that the myth was true! The language we learned at the MTC is NOT the same language the people speak in Argentina! People talk so fast and so slurred. It’s unbelievable! That was kind of a shock to me.

We finally got to Mendoza, spent the night in a little house lined with razor wire, and we all had a blast! We woke up the next morning, had a little bit of breakfast, got some training, had lunch, met our new companions, and then had some more training. There is apparently a new pilot program in the mission field where we (the new missionaries) take the lead in the lessons. WE invite people to baptism in the first lesson and WE also start the Restoration lesson.

On to my companion. His name is Elder Davenport and is from Idaho. When I asked him where we would be serving he said, ...”I will tell you later.” I soon found out we were heading south, to a place called Malargüe, the furthest area away from Mendoza. It was a really fun- six hour- bus ride! We are 6 hours away from the mission home and the closest missionaries to us are three hours away. There are 4 missionaries here (including me) and we do a LOT of walking.

The first day we walked a lot, presented one lesson, and had a meal at a members house. I didn't understand a word anyone said that day, but about 6 people on the street gave us their addresses.

The second day we walked by about ten houses and no one was home. We didn't get a single address from anybody. My legs have never been more sore. At least I'm getting stronger!

Although I can’t really understand the people that much... I try to talk to the people on the streets. Any time they say something. I have to turn to my companion for help. There isn’t much grass here so my shoes and basically everything else that I wear has a nice layer of dirt on them. Yes mom, there are dirt roads. All is well though so don't worry because I'm starting to understand the people little by little.

One funny story for the week. We talked to this really happy guy who knew a little bit of English. When my companion asked him where he learned it, he said something that I couldn’t understand. (Imagine that!) Anyway, we continued our conversation with him. Afterwards I asked my companion where the guy had learned English. "He learned it in prison Elder. I’m just glad he didn't kill any body!" Fun huh? Well, we are protected and that guy was too nice to us to do anything anyway.

Love you all and I love it here!
Elder ¿Misheres? (Myers)

PS Tell Brother Roberts I have already had four alfajores and I am buying my milk in bags Also, I got to watch General Conference in English. I loved it. It seemed to me the talks were all about missionary work and I plan on using every bit of advice I received! Love yall!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment